Why Is Safety Important In A Warehouse? Warehouses are like the heart of a supply chain, and it brings a tremendous impact on any running business – be it small or large. A good, functioning warehouse is every business owner’s priority.
Warehouse safety is one of the most crucial aspects that concern warehouse owners and their employees alike. A little miscalculation or a bad step can result in devastating injuries and a hefty cost.
Importance of safety
Warehouses often go months or years without proper maintenance or infrastructure development. As it doesn’t come to the forefront of a business, it doesn’t mean that its importance is secondary. The employees in a warehouse often work under difficult circumstances, even at the risk of physical danger.
Lack of a better infrastructure not only increases the chances of accidents and injuries but can also come in the way of providing an injured person with valuable aids. The absence of space management can create problems while rescuing an injured person.
These situations can pose a legal issue against the company, more precisely about employees’ safety. Taking some security measures can reduce all the risks effectively.
The following tips are necessary to make a warehouse function optimally and safely.
Keeping the employees and the warehouse safe – 07 tips
It is mandatory to have a safety protocol and necessary regulations for every warehouse, and the facility should follow the rules to ensure safe operations.
- Use safety equipment – Warehouse employees need to lift and shift heavy objects all the time; that causes potential harm and injuries. So, using specialized equipment such as forklifts or hydraulic lifts is necessary to avoid such injuries. Also use safety warehouse shoes, safety gears and all other safety precautions.
- Identifying hazardous zones carefully – There are places in most warehouses that have a higher risk of potential accidents. Some equipment also needs careful handling to eliminate such risks. Identifying and marking such hazardous areas, equipment, racks, paths, and emergency exits can save lives in critical situations.
- Fire safety – Fire safety is clearly the most important safety measure a warehouse administration should take. Fire hazards are very common to happen in stuffy places, which eventually lead to loss of lives and huge financial losses. Keeping fire extinguishers at all stations is mandatory, also keeping the space less congested and providing employees’ safety jackets are all important.
- First aid – it doesn’t matter how secure a work environment inside a workplace is; accidents can happen anytime. That is why having a first aid kit facility is mandatory in a warehouse. There are some protocols to follow for everyone. The first aid kit will include bandages, medical gloves, hand sanitizers, antiseptic medicine, scissors, cold packs, etc.
- Infrastructural modifications – A fire breaking out in a warehouse is quite common, but it takes a deadly form because of poor infrastructure. Eventually, that becomes the main reason behind a tragic incident. De-cluttering a warehouse is essential to free up more space. Keeping busy stations clutter-free, keeping the emergency ways open, having a proper exhaust system are some of the steps towards a less hazardous facility.
- Maintenance of equipment – warehouse employees are often susceptible to injuries from machines and equipment. Poorly-maintained equipment can malfunction anytime and cause serious damages to the employees and objects. For example, forklifts can malfunction and drop the object it was carrying, injuring the worker below. Regular inspections and repairs of the equipment can save lives.
- Awareness and training – Lastly, employees must pass through a decent time of training to be prepared for emergencies. Spreading awareness and the importance of basic first aid and CPR is necessary. Knowing how to get out safely in case of a fire or electrical hazard is also imperative. Moreover, basic training about handling faulty equipment or using a fire extinguisher will make the employees feel a bit confident so that they can handle themselves in adverse situations.
Things to avoid in a warehouse: Warehouse safety Do’s and Don ts
- It is not advisable to walk without safety boots suitable for warehouse.
- Placing objects or parking equipment very close to an intersection can block ways and make evacuation difficult.
- Never keep the exits congested. That may lead to grave consequences.
- An employee should never operate equipment and vehicles without proper training.
- Over-stacking objects may cause them to fall down and injure employees.
Accidents happen without prior warning, but following these safety measures may effectively bring the number down. General awareness and knowledge can ensure safety in warehouses.
6 thoughts on “Why Is Safety Important In A Warehouse?”
Comments are closed.