👉 How To Prevent Acrylic Paint From Cracking On Shoes?
If you have ever had the chance to work with acrylic paint you’ll know they are pretty awesome to deal with. The vibrant appeal and brighter hue of the acrylic paint make it so much better than watercolors. If you wish to go for a layered and subdued effect acrylics won’t let you down. You might start to think this is the best bit about working with acrylics but it really isn’t.
Acrylics are available at a way cheaper price than oil colors and they don’t have any of the suffocating smell that other colors often present with. You can work your way wonderfully with cheap brushes, the need for expensive ones is finally gone. As for cleaning, it’s easy peasy!
Keeping aside the reason why acrylic is a desirable choice, let’s speak about how you can add your creativity to your shoes and customize it the way you want. Wait, wait, hold on. Don’t go gallivanting painting your favorite pair of shoes. From choosing the right material for the acrylic to deciding which paint is suitable and how to prevent acrylic paint from cracking on shoes – there is a lot for you to wrap your head around. Regardless of being an easy option to work with acrylic paint will start cracking on your shoes the moment you start walking in them.
👉 Understanding Acrylic Paint Before You Start Painting:
Loosely translated, acrylic paint is basically liquid plastic. Acrylic paint followed the footsteps of acrylic resin and it was invented by the German chemist Dr. Otto Rohm. Though acrylic paint began its journey as house paint; artists and professionals soon discovered it’s potential. Abstract expressionists like Mark Rothko, Bridget Riley, and Helen Frankenthaler grabbed everyone’s attention with the use of acrylics and how its bright hue and the thick texture was perfect for art.
👉 What Kind Of Shoes Are Suitable For Acrylic Paint?
If you want to display your creativity on shoes then the best material is the old-school canvas. You can find some good ones here…
The surface or pair of shoes should be squeaky clean otherwise the paint won’t apply to the surface. Yes, there is a variety of acrylic paint some of which are perfect for leather; however, the most commonly available acrylic paint is suitable for woven canvas.
But, how can you paint on comfy, flexible, and super loose canvas when you’re used to evenly spread, firm, and tight canvas? There is a way around it. Pack your shoes with plastic bags wadded up and wads of paper. Remember to take out the laces. You have to cover specific areas of the canvas that you don’t want any trace of paint. Use masking tape for this purpose. It will not only act as an excellent adhesive but also prevents cracking. This will create a surface for you to unleash your creativity.
👉 Preventing Acrylic Paint From Cracking On Canvas Shoes:
Though flexible in nature, acrylic paint cracks under specific conditions. You must be patient with acrylic paint for it will take its own sweet time. Here are a few tips that will help:
- You must apply the paint in thin layers. Wait for that layer to dry completely before applying the next layer.
- The brush strokes should be both short and even. You can’t rush it if you want to create something beautiful. Start with the background and then proceed towards the foreground to create a better impression of depth. Start painting with light colors. Darker colors are perfect for touch-ups. Faded colors and gaps can be dealt with a thin layer of paint.
- Your paint should be in the direction as your shoe flexes. When the acrylic paint flexes in exactly the same direction as your shoes, it reduces any chance of cracking.
- It might not look the way you want with the first try. However, you should keep at it. Remember to paint evenly and wait for the paint to dry before you proceed.
- Don’t mix different brands of acrylic paint together. This might be the cause of the paint to crack. Choose a brand that you’re comfortable with and use it for your shoes. Acrylic paint doesn’t take long to dry which means waiting won’t be too overwhelming. To speed up the drying process, don’t make the mistake of using a hairdryer. The heat will cause the paint to crack. Keep your shoes in a place that receives good airflow and is not extremely warm.
- This is a crucial step. Make the most of an acrylic sealer once you’re done with your painting. Never drag the waterproofing spray across your shoes while you’re spraying. Do it in pointed bursts otherwise, the paint will smear all over the canvas ruining your art. Take your own sweet time. Start with one spot, two quick bursts of spray, and then the next spot. Cover all the crevices in this manner.
👉 Which Is The Best Suited Paint For Your Shoes?
What kind of paint to use on your canvas shoes? Well, Acrylic paint arrives in two different kinds –
The primary difference is in price. The student’s quality is way cheaper than the other one and doesn’t offer several color choices. On the other hand, the artist’s quality though expensive is manufactured with finely ground, premium quality pigment.
For a smoother consistency, you must choose the artist’s quality paint. From enjoying a better blend to experiencing ease while you’re at it – the artist’s quality acrylic paint delivers a vibrant finish. Acrylic colors are available in ten basic shades.
However, if you own cadmium yellow, cadmium red, titanium white, ivory black, and phthalo blue you will be covered. Alizarin crimson is a great choice if you wish your pinks and reds to stand out without having any orangey hue to it. Burnt sienna is excellent for an earthy tone. Your paints must be tightly covered when they are not being used.
👉 Learn The Best Ways To Paint Your Running Shoes:
Running shoes are a great choice to use acrylic paint. They are great to work with and can prove budget-friendly to work with. You’ll obviously need a couple of things to get started –
- Fine-grit sandpaper
- Piece of cloth
- Fine-bristled brush – one
- Wide-bristled brush – one
- Acrylic paint
- Sealing spray
Step by Step Instructions For You To Follow:
- Dampen your cloth with some water. Use it to remove traces of dirt or dust accumulating on your shoes.
- In case you own a pair of leather running shoes, using the fine-grit sandpaper, gently sand the surface of the shoes where you wish to apply paint. When you roughen up the shoe surface, the paint will adhere to it better. However, if you own a pair of canvas running shoes, forget about doing this step.
- Start applying the paint in small and even strokes. It is always advisable to start with lighter shades and then proceed towards the darker ones. If you are interested in perfecting detailed work, choose the fine-bristled brush. For getting the backdrop done, the wide-bristled brush is perfect.
- Place your shoes in some newspaper once you’re done. Use the acrylic sealing spray.
- Let them dry completely before you wear them.
👉 Can You Paint Leather Shoes With Acrylic?
It is advisable to choose cloth or canvas material for your acrylic paint but what should one do if they are desperately trying to change the color of their leather shoes? Leather shoes can prove tricky for acrylic paint, nevertheless, it can definitely be done. You have to get started with a little prep. Follow these steps and you’ll have a beautiful pair of painted leather shoes.
- There is a particular glaze on leather shoes. In order for acrylic paint to work, this has to go. If you prepare the leather properly, the paint won’t peel, chip, or crack.
- Leather Preparer and Deglazer are important tools for you. Start by brushing your shoes using it. It will remove the factory finish and make it easier for the paint to adhere.
- Thin layers of paint should be used. This will enable you to create consistent looking art. Thin the acrylic paint by combining it with water.
- You must let one layer dry before applying the next. Use a sponge or a flat paintbrush for this.
- Let your shoes dry naturally after you have finished. Keep it in a shaded spot with good airflow.
- Apply the finisher using a flat paintbrush or sponge in the same direction you’ve applied the paint. This will take a day to dry.
- You can revive the glory of your leather shoes by applying shoe cream to them before you wear them. This will ensure the shine and texture are maintained.
Using acrylic paint is undeniably a great opportunity to transform the beauty of your same old pair of boring shoes. Why would anyone shy away from art? Though it will take some effort from your part but acrylic paint can surely be used in shoes. Follow the steps we mentioned to paint your shoes and make sure to keep in mind the specific instructions for preventing acrylic paint from cracking.
Best Acrylic Paint for painting on canvas Shoes
Read also: How To Get Paint Off Leather Boots?
Read also: How To Condition Leather Boots? 👢